UNFORTUNATELY, I AM NOT TAKING ON NEW CLIENTS AT THIS TIME
Professional, ethical and competent practise - whether you require comprehensive assessment and treatment, or an opportunity to consider old problems in a new way.
Every psychologist gradually develops over time areas of special interest or expertise. Below is the work I like to do. However, feel free to give me a call and I will be happy to talk with you about your concerns and what you need, and whether I am the right person to help you.
Assessment of children (2 - 12)
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Cognitive differences (intellectual disability, giftedness)
A good assessment of your child may involve psychometric testing, observation of them in other settings (eg school/home), and talking with others involved in their life eg teachers, relatives. After an initial consult with you, we can discuss how I can best obtain the information I need to get a good understanding of what is going on for your child and how we can best help.
Assessment of teenagers
- Cognitive assessment including intellectual disability
- Autism spectrum assessment
- Special Assessment Conditions (NZQA)
Assessment of adults
- Expertise in the assessment of ADHD
- Expertise in the assessment of autism spectrum disorder
- Intellectual disability assessment
- Assessment and formulation (psychological explanation for behaviour, where it started and what maintains it) of emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Diagnosis if applicable of all psychological disorders
Therapy for adults
- Emotional and behavioural difficulties such as anxiety, avoidance, depression, low self-esteem, addictive behaviours, toxic relationships, anger, burnout, ASD, ADHD.
- Essentially, for when you are struggling with your feelings and getting stuck or off track with unhelpful thoughts and behaviours.
- For those affected by others with personality disorders/mental illness.
- Age appropriate shared care parenting plans.
- Cognitive and psychological reports that may be necessary to access to funding and services
- Immigration-related reports
Liaison and Referrals
- Liaison with others eg agencies, schools, GP, family members
- Referrals to other agencies, such as Life Unlimited (needs assessment agency), DHBs, GPs, psychiatrists, pediatricians, and other specialists.
- Referral to other psychologists or counsellors if indicated.
WHAT I DON'T DO:
- provide therapy to teenagers - "Adolescence is a foreign country; they do things differently there"! Some people really have a knack for that age-group - I don't, and I think working to your strengths is important.
- individual therapy for children. I am able to assess the needs of children and the meaning of their behaviour and make recommendations and referrals from there.
- ACC work, sensitive claims etc. I am not ACC-registered.
- s133 or s178 reports for the Family Court.